Sunday, July 20, 2014

Sunday Synopsis: 2014 July 20th

Over the past years, my Sunday Synopsis has taken many forms.  A whine sheet, a brag sheet, an endless ToDo List, and during the past five years, most valuable to me, a checking in time with myself to see where I'd been, where I was going, or if I was going anywhere.

Now it is time for the Sunday Synopsis to once again morph to another level -- perhaps just JGHs musings. This morning as I was writing in my journal, a thought or theme kept showing up.  I have always been a proponent of the concept that one should do what one loves.  In that, I have been fortunate.  I have really enjoyed every job I ever had, from flagging for my father's spray planes when I was 14 and 15, to life guarding and teaching swim lessons as a teenager.  I even enjoyed working at the WSU Audio-Visual Center when I was in college, even though the tediousness let my mind wander to places far away,which often got me into trouble).  I was thrilled to edit masuscripts for the Annals of Mathematical Statistics, and later excited to work for the State of Oregon's AFS.  Founding, owning and running our business, Industrial Counsulting Services, with my business partner was truly a wonderful experience that I value to this day.

As I was thinking about the the benefits of doing what you love, I realized that there is a corollary that is just as important  --  Enjoy That Which You Are Doing.  This was  like an epiphany for me.  So many times, I race through the day, checking off things to do, places to go, people to see, without ever stopping to enjoy the time I spend doing these every day occurrences.  So instead of dashing down to feed the fish, or peacocks -- and marking that off of my list,  I realized that I really enjoy feeding the fish and the peacocks.  I really enjoy writing in my journal, or even washing dishes.  So instead of just mindlessly charging through the day and checking things off of  my list, I am switching that mental gear to enjoy  that thing I am doing in that moment.  Now going grocery shopping is as much as an adventure as  taking Colldubh down to the lake and seeing our goose, duck, heron --and dog -- friends.  A simple change of perspective, enjoy that what you do.

I hope I keep remembering this epiphany.

  ~ ~ 

 © Joan G. Hill, Roots'n'Leaves Publications 


No comments:

Post a Comment