Saturday, July 26, 2014

Sepia Saturday 238, 2014 July 26:South Street Seaport, New York City, circa 1900

I really liked this 1935 photograph of Broome Street in Manhattan  --- and I was sure I had the perfect photograph for this theme. I went through my uncharted photograph collection to no avail.  I really must do some organization of my collection!

South Street Seaport and Brooklyn Bridge, New York City


Courtesy of the Detroit Publishing Company Photograph Collection, Library of  Congress
My offering for this 238th Sepia Saturday is a circa 1900 photograph of South Street Seaport with the Brooklyn bridge as a backdrop.  Although I couldn't find the family photo for which I searched and searched, this picture put me in a mind of the life my McPherson/Burns family lived in New York City.   My great-great grandparents left New York City in 1850.  However, his brother-in-law Jabez Burns remained in the City.  In his early days after immigrating he made horse and wagon deliveries. By 1860, he was engrossed in the coffee trade, and became a well-known inventor of the Jabez Burns & Sons Coffee Roaster.Scenes like the one above would have been very familiar to him as one of his early jobs was to buy and transport loads of coffee from the ships in the moored in the harbor.

I also liked the variety of subject matter in  this photograph. Signs, horse drawn wagons, early automobiles,  dock workers and business men in suits, ships and riggings --- all give this photograph a sense of purpose and life. This area now houses the South Street Seaport Museum.

Now go "sign" in and see what our fellow Sepians have to offer in the way of signs, fellows with their hands in their pockets, or whatever takes their eye.


  ~ ~ 

 © Joan G. Hill, Roots'n'Leaves Publications 

8 comments:

  1. Very interesting, great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that really is a wonderful photo of "life".

    I hope that you find the other photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very clear photo full of activity - a great reminder of life on the waterfront in those times

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would have been an exciting time to live in New York.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you say, there's a lot happening in that photograph depicting daily life in the busy port area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes definitely lots of life in this photo. I love all the leaning stovepipes of the steamers lined up in port too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So the big shopping mall must be on the other side of the River at the other end of the Brooklyn Bridge? I'll have to check that out online.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great photo full of interest. I'd like to spend a little time with a magnifying glass going over it. Never heard the interesting name Jabez before.

    ReplyDelete