Saturday, January 4, 2014

Sepia Saturday 209: 2014 January 4: A Stretch Packard - McPherson Style, A Mother, Five Daughters, & Three Granddaughters Long

This first prompt of 2014 is a vehicle,  a cross between a stretch limo and a country bus. Whilst it is said that there are plenty of potential prompts to be found in this image which comes from the collection of the Royal Australian Historical Society on Flickr Commons : cars, buses, dams, men in white coats, I flounced between beat-up old trucks, old school buses, and old cars.  In the end, I chose the following photo - not a very good photo, but then my family has not been known for artistic  -- or even clear -- photos.





A  Stretch Packard,  McPherson Style - A Mother, Five Daughters, & Three Granddaughters Long


1940 Packard
Back Row: Margie Bryant holding niece Marilyn, the matriarch Elizabeth Alfreda, Bertha Clouse, Betty McPherson, Verna McPherson, and Olive McPherson
Front Row, Nancy McPherson (sister of Marilyn) and Joan McPherson (me and cousin of Nancy and Marilyn)
.
Although the photograph was noted with a 1938 date, my mother dated photos, and such,  with a "guess & by golly" sort of nonchalance.  Based on the age of my baby cousin Marilyn (born 1938 Nov 18), I would place the date of the photo in the summer of 1940 -- and the car a brand new Packard.  My Aunt Bertha, in the center, most likely drove the Packard from their home in  Calipatria, California, to see her parents, sisters and brothers in Klamath County, Oregon.  Her sister, Margie, holding her baby niece Marilyn, would have accompanied Bertha on the trip north,  and most likely their husbands as well. 


I have listed the woman standing second from the right, as Verna McPherson.  However, I am not 100% sure that this is correct. It could also be sister Helen, as the two of them looked very much alike during their teenage years.  I toyed with the thought that it could also be Nancy and Marilyn's mother, Pearl McPherson;  however, Pearl was really quite slim in those years and had a very definite heart-shaped face.  

The real reason that I chose this photo was that Packard was reaaalllly long  -- not quite a stretch limo, but close for that day and age.  Now wheel on over to see what the other Sepians have to offer.

  ~ ~ 

 © Joan G. Hill, Roots'n'Leaves Publications

23 comments:

  1. One thing that helped in the old cars was the bench seat instead of bucket seats in the front. It certainly helped to pack people in !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only could 4 or more be squeezed in side by side, but I remember adding kids on top of the adults laps. A long time before the seat belt requirements! Probably not so safe, but I remember those times as being great fun.

      Delete
  2. You can judge the length of the car by the six adults standing side by side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the six dinna even come close to being from bumper to bumper!

      Delete
  3. What a great picture. Five daughters! And three granddaughters! Was there ever a boy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful photo , pure poetry !

      Delete
    2. At that time there was only one grandson. Of my grandparents family, there were 6 daughters and 4 sons. Made for lively dinners.

      Delete
  4. Long enough to get the whole famly lined up in front! It’s nice to see my given name (Marilyn) existed in 1938 - I’ve had the Marilyn Monroe tag for years - but I was actually named after a cousin of my mother’s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There might have been room to squeeze in the whole family -- would have had to add another six (4 sons, 1 daughter & their dad).

      Delete
  5. What a great to see everyone lined up so happy for a family photo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks --- my McPhersons lined up for a photo op at every opportunity! Also I like your site and trying to figure out how to comment.

      Delete
  6. A fun photo for the theme. I believe Packard cars had a wheelbase much longer than today's mini-vans, and bench seats that could squeeze in a lot of family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems true. But strange as it seems, the Packard belonged to my Aunt Bertha and her husband and they only had 1 daughter --- but back then size meant wealth, and they were the yuppies of the day.

      Delete
  7. Love your quirky title and congratulation to your mother for dating photographs. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I am as pleased that you liked the quirky title as the photo!! Mom's date was off a couple of years, but she got all of her photos in a general time span -- & I loved it when she noted the occasion, i.e., Thanksgiving, Christmas, fishing at ....

      Delete
  8. The length of the Packard caught my eye too -- my first thought was it surely resembled a touring bus judging by the line of people in front of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Packard was looonnggg. I think the whole family of 12 could have been photographed in front of it -- with a bit of squeezing.

      Delete
  9. It kind of reminds me of the old taxi cabs that had lots of space in back and jump seats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vaguely remember a family member that had a car with a jump seat -- quite the thing back then! Now it would just seem a bit chilly and windy -- ahh, how we now take for granted a/c units in our cars.

      Delete
  10. A wonderful photograph - and there is such a family resemblance in those faces. A very Happy New Year Joan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan, yes, indeed, there was a marked family resemblance, even between those who were quite distinctive as the got older. I once wrote a poem bemoaning not being able to connect with roots in Scotland -- and then I found that I did --- in all of the faces that had a resemblance to my McPherson family back home. And a Happy New Year to you and yours.

      Delete
  11. I like the title too, it shows the grandness of the Packard.Wonderful family photo. The great American dream, for every family a car. I just read GM makes now 70% of its cars in China together with China, sold out the whole technology. I think our Holden which belongs to China will go the same way in 2017, they said if we do not bail them out. we have bailed out Mitsubishi and then they disappeared. Americans have bailed out GM with 80 Billion $. GM took the money and build 7 factories in Chin, they said the future is there. Anyway the Packard was a big car. In the sixties we had a Plymouth, Coupé, metallic blue, white leather inside, very small wings! It was the most elegant car we ever owned. Unfortunately I don't even have a photo of it.
    .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those little Plymouth coupes were just a delightful car. glad you enjoyed yours.

    ReplyDelete