Monday, July 9, 2012

Jabez Burns' Addometer, Patent Issued 24 August 1858

Jabez Burns,Coffee Roaster & Inventor

A few weeks ago, in Part 2 of The Story of My Jabezes, I mentioned that Jabez Burns, the Coffee Roaster, had also invented an Addometer. At the time,  I spent quite a bit of effort trying to run down something substantial about Burns' number adding device, but to no avail.  Today, I was going over some previously mined information and the following article from the online History of Computers,Hardware, Software, and the Internet showed up on an internet search:  Jabez Burns Addometer  



In the profound words of my grandson, "Cool!"  

              Indeed, how "cool" is this? 

                           Way Cool!!


1858 Patent Model for Burns Addometer,
 Property of Smithsonian National Museum

~ ~ ~ 
© Joan Hill, Roots'n'Leaves Publications

3 comments:

  1. OOOOO, more than cool! As they say in the midwest frequently, per several of our RVing buds from Kansas,

    COOL BEANS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "COOL BEANS", eh?? I'll keep that one in mind --and ready to use.

    Glad you enjoyed this little bit of history.

    ReplyDelete