In 1877 , Wm. J. Parks, Co., published a history of Madison, Dane Co, and the surrounding villages and towns in Dane Co., Wisconsin. Contributors from the various locales provided information, pictures, and maps for the book. My great-great grandfather James P. McPherson wrote the portion about the history of Springdale (p. 806, Dane County Towns, Springdale). Because of its length, the Springdale history will be published on this blog in several parts. Part 1, as follows, contains McPherson's description of the land around Springdale.
By James P. McPherson, Esq
SPRINGDALE, town No. 6 north, of range No. 7 east, lies fifteen to twenty-one miles southwest of the city of Madison, and is traversed by the Madison and Mineral Point, and the Madison and Wiota state roads, and the territorial road from the Badger Mills to Blue Mounds.
There are in this township some remarkable remains of that ancient people , who ares supposed to have inhabited this country prior to its occupancy by the Indians races; the most noteworthy of which are to be found in secton fifteen. Here are three mounds about fifty feet apart, and extending east and west; they are uniform in size, being about six feet in height above the surface of the adjacent land, and circular at the base, where they are nearly forty feet in diameter. Commencing at the distance of fifty feet from the most eastern mound , and extending in an unvarying direction to the east, there is a long low ridge or bank of earth, one hundred feet in length; the height of this ridge above the surface of the ground on which it is situated is four feet, and measures six feet through the base, north and south. A line drawn due east and west would divide the three mounds and ridge exactly in the center. Being upon elevated land, the view from the site of these mounds would, were it not for the luxuriant young trees by which they are surrounded, be beautiful and commanding. In the summer of 1870 one of these mounds was partially explored by Mr. Charles H. Lewis, a resident of the town, when a well preserved human skeleton was unearthed, together with a stone pipe of curious workmanship, two stone knives, some highly polished and perforated pieces of one, and many stone implements the use of which is now unknown.
PUBLISHED & COPYRIGHT BY WM. J. PARK & CO., 1877. BOOKSELLERS, STATIONERS AND BINDERS, 11 KING STREET. DAVID ATWOOD, STEREOTYPER AND PRINTER, MADISON, WIS.